can you get mono from oral sex

Discussion in 'Sex and Sexual Health Forum' started by nitwit, Feb 2, 2018.

1. nitwit

nitwit New Member

I have a question. If my girlfriend performs oral sex on me and she has mono, would I get it too? I know that Mononucleosis can be passed to other people through kissing but will I get if she just performs oral sex on me? Would the virus from her saliva get inside my penis?

2. beanpole

beanpole New Member

Mono is not considered a sexually transmitted disease but there might still be a risk. I suggest that you use a condom when she performs oral sex on you just to be on the safe side.

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord New Member

It’s called the kissing disease because you can get it by kissing another person who has it. Mono can be transmitted through the exchange of saliva and I think that nothing was mentioned about getting it when the saliva gets in contact with your penis.

4. katelyn823

katelyn823 New Member

You’re probably thinking that your girlfriend’s saliva can get inside you through your penis and when it comes in contact to your semen, you might get infected. I doubt that the virus can be transmitted this way but you can’t rule it out.

5. Valentino

Valentino New Member

You can get mono by being exposed to the virus through kissing, when someone who has it coughs or sneeze and you get in contact with it, or by sharing food or drinks with that person. If it can be transmitted by those means, it can possibly be transmitted when someone who has mono performs oral sex on you.

6. dirigible

dirigible New Member

To be on the safe side, I think that you should just settle for handjobs for a while until your girlfriend has been cleared of mono.

7. catlady

catlady New Member

Well, you might not get infected if she performs oral sex on you but she can infect you through other means. What if she sneezes or coughs in front of you? Remember that Mononucleosis can be transmitted through exchange of saliva or because of respiratory droplets. Anyway, you could probably even have antibodies against the mono virus. Just go see your doctor and have yourself checked.

8. House

House Administrator Staff Member

Mono can definitely be transmitted via intimate contact, it does not have to necessarily be via intercourse, but more possible with face-to-face contact and higher probability via kissing. The EBV virus, which is the cause of mono has a rather extended incubation period running into several weeks.