Can you get trichomoniasis from a toilet seat?

Discussion in 'Sex and Sexual Health Forum' started by Tarcea, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Tarcea

Tarcea New Member

My husband and I have been together for 8 years. We’ve been faithful to one another and I have no reason to doubt his fidelity. But just last week I had my pap smear and my gynecologist told me that I have Trichomoniasis. I know that it’s a sexually transmitted disease and I know that the only person who may have infected me is my husband. I told him about it and asked him if he slept with someone else. He denied it vehemently. I want to believe him, I really do. I asked a friend for advice and she told me that it’s possible that I got it from something else like a damp infected towel or from a toilet seat. I know that it’s highly unlikely but I am just looking for an explanation to all this. I really don’t want this to cause a rift between us. So can you get trichomoniasis from a toilet seat or from something else? Is there a way for it to be transmitted aside from sexual intercourse? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Vandarus

Vandarus New Member

I’m so sorry to hear that it’s causing you and your husband problems. And I’m sorry to tell you that your husband might be lying. Like you said, it’s a sexually transmitted disease. There’s no other way for you to have become infected other than him causing it.

3. bridget

bridget New Member

I’ve had the same problem before and I’m telling you sex is the only way that trichomoniasis can be transmitted. Talk to your husband again and ask him to go to a doctor. He should be treated as well.

4. twentyfive

twentyfive New Member

Situations like that would really cast doubts on the faithfulness of both partners. The best thing to do here I guess is for him to go to a doctor and get himself checked. If he doesn’t have an infection, then he’s telling the truth and that your friend might be right that you may have got it from somewhere else, like a toilet seat.

5. MikeWest

MikeWest New Member

Well, I don’t know if you can get trichonomiasis from a toilet seat, or a wet towel, but I guess anything is possible. You can’t really rule out that possibility.

6. carley347

carley347 New Member

Have you had any procedures done like Dilation and Curettage (D and C)? If you had, then it might have been the culprit. I also had trichonomiasis before and it happened after one of my D and Cs. The vagina is the perfect environment for it to develop and grow, after giving birth or going through surgery like D and C.

7. House

House Administrator Staff Member

I’ve read that there are non-sexual ways of transmission for it. Trichonomiasis is caused by a protozoa, called the trichomonas vaginalis which can live outside of human bodies for 45 minutes. So if an infected person used a commode and it wasn’t cleaned well, and another person used it immediately, then it is possible for that person to get infected. I hope this helps.

8. BigCat

BigCat New Member

That’s really scary. I did some reading about trichonomiasis too and I found out that aside from unsanitary toilets, the organism can stay on wet toilet papers, damp towels, and even swimming pools.