Cymbalta 60mg Patient Reviews for Back Pain

Discussion in 'General Health, Pharmacy & Drugs Support Forum' started by NedStark, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NedStark

NedStark New Member

Recently my doc suggested I try Cymbalta for back pain. I am an avid reader of all things medical and find it hard to believe that an antidepressant like Cymbalta can help ease back pain. The doctor thinks my stress is exacerbating the back pain and thinks its worth a shot, but I find it tough to buy that idea, feels downright silly to me.

I just dont think it will work for my back pain. Anyone here have any personal views and experiences on Cymbalta working to relieve pain?

2. Banger

Banger New Member

Cymbalta effects number of neurotransmitters that cross the brain barrier unlike many other antidepressants that don't. It doesn't relieve pain in the manner a muscle relaxer or pain relief drugs do. It actually changes the effects of your brain chemicals to trick you into feeling and thinking you no longer have pain. Try it if the doctor prescribed you.

3. Wood

Wood New Member

It does work for pain! It worked wonders for my sciatica. Cymbalta allows nerves to destress and relax which helps in healing. But the medication does have side effects, I was constantly tired. Not all have bad side effects though. All the best!

4. Jamo

Jamo New Member

That's an interesting explanation but I don't think it "tricks" a person into believing they have no pain. I took it for back pain and my doctor told me that Cymbalta blocks pain receptors in the spine at the synaptic junctions.

5. House

House Administrator Staff Member

I believe our minds play an important rule in helping a treatment succeed or fail. The placebo effects can imo work both ways - positive and negative. If you believe it can help you, you can get a sugar pill to help a lil bit and if you have strong negative thoughts in your mind about the treatment it can inhibit the effectiveness of the medicine to a certain degree. I hope you dont fall into the 2nd category because it looks like you have written this treatment off in your mind.

6. NedStark

NedStark New Member

I agree HouseHouse, but that's because I am better informed than the average patient. I need to see some strong reason for its perceived effects, especially when there is not much publicly accessible clinical study proving its analgesic effects.

7. Goaty

Goaty New Member

SNRIs like Cymbalta help in relieving pain by increasing serotonin in the brain. When serotonin binds in receptors in the midbrain, the area where pain signals are processed, it kickstarts a reaction that essentially activates natural opiates to stimulate the opiod receptors from the incoming pain neurons. This inhibits the pain signals and causes analgesic effect. However it is also true that SSRI does not inhibit pain, then why does an SNRI like Cymbalta work for reducing pain. Perhaps the latter inhibits other neurotransmitters that an SSRI drug cannot or maybe its a cascade effect of a number of inhibitions and activations noone understands fully.

8. HotRod

HotRod New Member

Cymbalta worked very well for depression for the nerve tingles after my surgery but I didn't think then that it did much for the pain. But when I switched to Prozac from Cymbalta the radiculopathy and neuropathy in my legs is definitely worse and I am anxious and depressed. So I went back on Cymbalta(bloody expensive) and things have toned down. I now think Cymbalta is specifically good for people with nerve pain and basically just relaxes the brain and whole body.

9. Wolf

Wolf New Member

I was on number of pain medications for a number of years along with Cymbalta. When I finally weaned of most of my meds and gradually tapered of Cymbalta, it was like turning on a switch of awareness - I was more alert and loved life more. Perhaps it helped when my pain levels were very high, but I think in the long run it is best to try and come out of Cymbalta's hold on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.