Does epsom salt help hemorrhoids? can you pop it like a pimple

Discussion in 'General Health, Pharmacy & Drugs Support Forum' started by Rose, May 11, 2018.

1. Rose

Rose New Member

I have a thrombosed hemorrhoid for the last 2 weeks and its pain had become unbearable yesterday. I requested my doctor’s PA to squeeze me in and he assured that if I do what he says, the hemorrhoid will be gone in 3 days. He asked me to take warm water hip bath with Epsom salt and after the bath I have to place two pillows under my butt so that my butt will be at a higher position than my heart. I have to then put an ice cube over the hemorrhoid and rub the area for around 15-20 minutes. My doctor stressed on the point – to keep my butt raised. It slipped out of my mind to ask him its relevance. Is it really effective as he says? I have done it 3 times today, planning to do 2 more. Does it work? Has anyone else tried this out? Please do let me know… Also, have to ask: has anyone tried popping hemorrhoids like a pimple?

2. Cells

Cells New Member

Epsom salt baths are known to help. Let us know how it goes ;) What do you mean if you can pop it? are going to pop it? Have you ever tried it before? If you haven’t, I fear it may cause further complications.

3. Rose

Rose New Member

I am not going to pop it CellsCells . Just wanted to know if it is considered ok to do so and was curious if anyone tried popping these nasties.

It is the second day following the bath regime and I am happy to tell you that my pain has subsided notably. I think I was expecting more results but the results are gradual. The swelling has not reduced too much. I rang up my doctor today because I was getting impatient and he said that the swelling would decrease only gingerly. It feels horrible when you initially put the ice cubes, but I am getting used to it. I think my problem is that I am expecting results real fast. I just don’t want more of this pain. That’s all.

4. Rose

Rose New Member

Hello folks,

It is day 3 today. The pain is too little now but I don’t think the hemorrhoid has shrunk. I feel it is of the same size even now. Please wish me luck!!!

5. Rose

Rose New Member

Gosh!! Its day 4 and the damn hemorrhoid has not even reduced by an inch. When will it vanish? I have been so careful in my treatment and religiously followed my doctor’s advice for the past 3 days. I think all my efforts are down the drain. I am thankful to having the pain reduced but I know unless it shrinks, the pain will soon bounce back when I stop sitz bath.

6. Rose

Rose New Member

It is day 5 and the size is still the same. Yesterday I did it 6 times in the entire day. I feel so frustrated. I think my expectations were at its peak the way my doc presented it to me and with no change in size of that little devil, I am really disappointed. In fact I feel angry at my doc too for making me put so much efforts and time on this procedure for almost a week with no results.

7. Rose

Rose New Member

Its day 6 and finally it burst. I thought my efforts paid off and I got rid of it, but no, it has reduced a little but not by too much. It just bled a little bit for some time, with a few clots coming out. But now there is a hole in the hemorrhoid and it will be my full time job to keep it sterilized at all times. I am still following the sitz bath regime and I hope it will work.

8. supercargo

supercargo New Member

Thanks a lot for sharing your story. I am 35 year old and I have been having them for the last 5 years. It is a total nuisance and interferes with your normal routine. I have it in different shapes and sizes. I have consulted a number of doctors, who prescribed creams and suppositories but nothing worked at all. Finally one of them asked me to get a colonoscopy done to check if things were alright internally. In that it was found that there is this little stubborn cut I have that does not heal at all. It keeps opening again and again and there is no sign of getting healed. I have been advised to take bland food and avoid alcohol completely. I am too frustrated because of it and I want to pop them. Do you think it is a good idea?

9. Rose

Rose New Member

I haven’t been able to handle it for 2 weeks. I don’t understand how you put up with it for the last 5 years. So brave of you!!! What do your doctors have to say about this? Can’t they do anything substantial to help you out? You did not mention anything about taking sitz baths. Have you tried it? If not, you should give it a try. I hope you heal completely soon dear!!!

10. Rose

Rose New Member

It’s more than a week since my first post and I have good news for you guys. It is shrinking, slowwwwlyyy. My doc was unreasonable in saying it would be fine in 3 days. I think it will take a lot of time, but finally I see a ray of hope now. Also, there is no pain till now and I am keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully things go the same way as it did till it heals completely. It is imperative to keep the area clean and no risk should be taken about it. I just want to get rid of it and lead a happy and normal life again.

11. Rose

Rose New Member

It’s been 3 days since I updated things here. It is because my pain has made a comeback. I think it is thrombosed once again. It feels like an albatross around my neck. I really feel very discouraged now. I was in a positive frame of mind thinking my condition has improved and I shall soon be healed and there I am back to square one now. I am still following the hip bath regime and making conceited efforts. So, I don’t know the reason for the pain this time. Right now I am double minded if I should be continuing the treatment or not.

12. justMe

justMe New Member

I was having an external thrombosed hemorrhoid for 5 days. It was the most painful experience of my life. The damn thing was almost the size of a walnut with a huge and rough head on it. The pain was gnawing. So, I decided to take a shower in a hope that it would help me handle the pain. But I was wrong. I finished my shower somehow and unable to stand the pain any longer, put a towel on my bed and threw myself on it. A few minutes later, I rolled over and felt something wet underneath. I was happy to see that my giant hemorrhoid had popped. I was so thankful to God for the instant relief. It did bleed a lot but I felt way better after this episode. As the bleeding progressed I observed that my swelling had come down. Thank God, it is gone!!