Facet Joint injections for back pain, Any experience?

Discussion in 'Pain Management & Painkillers' started by FreeSpirit, Jun 19, 2016.

1. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit New Member

I am in pain guys. I have a degenerative L4/5 disc. The nerves in the region have compressed that causes pain right down to my thighs. I am in agony for the past 2 years. I have tried acupuncture, physiotherapy and even Indian Ayurveda but nothing helps.

I am considering surgery. My pain doc is going to give me facet joint injections and says they have helped some patients like me. Anyone here have any experience with it. I am so worried.

2. WonderMan

WonderMan New Member

I have the exact same problem. I have had facet injections for my bulges on L4/5. They don't prick you without a local anesthetic, so you will only feel pressure mostly and bearable prick pain. It doesn't work immediately though and will take a week for its effect to take over. I got considerable pain relief from it but I understand not everyone has the same pain relieving effects. Good news is they last a long time. I had it 7 months back and still shielded from the ferocity of pain.

3. BlueDiamond

BlueDiamond New Member

Does not hurt. I think most of us that suffer from spinal pain have a higher than normal tolerance for pain in any case. If you are anxious you can even ask for a sedative in addition to the LA. The facet injection I had gave me good relief but not complete relief. They also seemed to increase my pain for the next couple of days before they really started to help. I took them under IV sedation and you should too, it really helps with the anxiety.

4. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit New Member

Really heartening to learn that these injections help and that the procedure is manageable. I am now positive this will help me and looking forward to the dip in pain and be able to live my life like a normal human being.

BlueDiamondBlueDiamond Bit worried about the part where you mentioned the pain could increase initially, I cant imagine how I would cope with an increase in pain, I think I am pretty close to agonizing pain already.

If this doesn't work, I am told the next step is to have epidural injections.

5. Whisperer

Whisperer New Member

I have to say, they didn't help me much for my L2/L3. The injections don't pain due to the LA but later on the area will be sore, so be ready with an ice-bag. I have been suggested surgery too, but for now I am managing with meds. I really would like to avoid surgery as much as possible. Take a couple of days off from work and keep yourself hydrated. You will be ok!

6. Tom

Tom New Member

Here is what happened to me:
    I was asked to lie face-down and the nurse puts a towel on my waist after cleaning my lower back. The doctor took a look at the X-Ray and then proceeded to give me 3 LA injections around the area (L5 S1). After a few minutes he came back and with the help of XRay guidance injected a small needle into the area and informed me he was injecting a dye to make sure he got the right area. He left the needle in. Once he did could confirm he got things right he then injected a mixture of lydocaine and cortisone in the area and then removed the needle. It worked extremely well for me and got me close to complete relief. I pray you get the same result.

7. Wood

Wood New Member

Here is a video

8. barnaby

barnaby New Member

I have had about 8 of those shots under an X-Ray machine.The first pain doctor never sedated me.I just about fell off the table.He was bad..
    Then I found a doctor Anand in Calif.Who sedated me.Put me to sleep.When I awoke I was back in my hospital bed.Now that is the way to go.Helped a great deal.After 8 years the pain subsided and I don't need to wear a SI Joint belt no more.He gave me Somas.And he would again if I get a shot first.No thank you.