High leukocytes white blood cells in urine std?

Discussion in 'Sex and Sexual Health Forum' started by eva910, Apr 18, 2018.

1. eva910

eva910 New Member

Hello. Last week I experienced this painful, burning sensation when I urinated. I went to the clinic and had a urinalysis. When I got the results back, it says there that I have a high WBC. My doctor gave me an antibiotic, ciproflaxin, which I have to take twice daily for 21 days. Now this may sound crazy but I was kind of ashamed to ask my doctor what the white blood cells in my urine meant? Does this mean I have UTI or STD?

I hope you can help me. Thanks!

2. Cells

Cells New Member

When there are white blood cells in urine, STD or sexually transmitted disease is one possibility. This is because white blood cells in urine means that there is an infection. So yes, it may be that you have STD or you have UTI.

I guess the best way for you to find out what exactly your infection is, is to ask your doctor. There’s no shame in that. Doctors are there to help us with these things. Anyway, good luck on your medication. Feel better soon.

3. melody

melody New Member

It means that there is an infection when there is the presence of white blood cells in urine. STD or Sexually transmitted diseases are infections caused by bacteria. Urinary Tract Infections are also caused by them. Our white blood cells fight the infections by attacking the bacteria that invaded our bodies. Doctors can detect infections and medical conditions through WBC (white blood cell) count. So if they find that the WBC count in the urine is high, this may indicate that there is an infection or inflammation in our kidneys or urinary tract. Or this can also mean that there is sexually transmitted infection.

4. Kara

Kara New Member

When there is a predominance of white blood cells in urine, STD may be the culprit. Or it can also mean that there’s a kidney or urinary tract infection. There are usually no white blood cells in our urine because the kidneys do not allow them to pass through. But when there are invading bacteria causing some type of infection, our bodies produce more white blood cells to fight them off. So if there would be bacteria, say in our kidneys, the white blood cells will try to kill those bacteria, hence their presence in the urine.

5. ANNIKA

ANNIKA New Member

Hello there! I understand what you’re feeling but I think that you should talk to your doctor about it. There’s nothing to be ashamed of. You’re not the only one who has had infections. And besides, your doctor is there to help you with whatever it is that’s ailing you. And more importantly, he’s the best person to tell you what kind of infection you have, whether it is a urinary tract infection or an STD. Good luck. I wish you the best.

6. BigCat

BigCat New Member

White blood cells in the urine indicate that there is an infection in the urinary system. So there may be an infection anywhere in the kidney, the bladder, or the urethra. The WBC can’t actually tell what kind of infection it is. It may just be a urinary tract infection or a sexually transmitted infection like gonorrhea or chlamydia. For you to be able to find out what kind of STD it is (if that is indeed what you have) you must identify what type of bacteria caused the infection. I hope this helps. Be well.

7. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

If your doctor gave you ciproflaxin and he ordered you to take it for 21 days, it could mean that you have complicated urinary tract infection or pyelonephritis (kidney infection). But I am no doctor and I am just basing my answer on the information that you gave here. Well, I think that you should talk to your doctor. Do not be ashamed to ask him anything. That is your right as his patient. You need to know everything about your condition so that you would be prepared for any other situation that might arise. Good luck!