How to relieve constipation after surgery?

Discussion in 'Pain Management & Painkillers' started by Elianna, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Elianna

Elianna New Member

I underwent a 360 spinal fusion last week. The only requirement for getting discharged from the hospital was to have normal bowel movement. I did not have any movement for the first two days and I was worried. I started having colace and forced some prune juice down my throat after 2 days and finally I had my first bowel movement after the surgery. So, I was sent home after that. I felt elated thinking this is it and things would soon go back to normal. It’s been 5 days since I am home and there is no sign of bowel movement since then. I have tried everything, prune juice, dried prunes, colace and dulcolax. I also tried drinking lots and lots of water but no luck!!! I am worried now that there is something wrong. Should I call up my doctor or is it normal to not have any bowel movement for some time, post this surgery? What would you do if you were in my situation?

2. ratChaser

ratChaser New Member

I faced the same problem after my surgery. Do not lose hope and keep doing what you are doing right now. Maybe it will help. What helped me finally was getting a fleet enema from the pharmacist, which helped a lot in smooth bowel movement. They are effective and show their results pretty fast. It is even simple to use. Just get someone to help you out with this and you shall have normal bowel movements in no time. Good luck!

3. Elianna

Elianna New Member

Thank you so much for suggesting fleet enema. I shall keep it as my last resort. I am still drinking more and more of prune juice as well as dried prunes. Hopefully it works. But I am still worried if this is normal or should I be rushing back to my doctor. Can someone please suggest?

4. Miss

Miss New Member

My mom had the worst experience of her life when she went a week without any bowel movements post the spine fusion surgery. The constipation was so severe that she does not want to remember the whole incident even now, although it has been a while since this incident. The first time she had a BM, she was completely drenched in sweat and while trying to push out the stuff, she ended up having a small rectal tear bleeding. She was prescribed antibiotics post that as the doctor feared it could lead to an infection. What came to her rescue was OTC Miralax and dried apricots. The drug is expensive but worth it in a situation like this. You even get a tea called “smooth moves” in the market, which helps in relieving this constipation. I hope the natural methods work for you to get a BM. If you don’t get one even after 5 days, then I would recommend that you call your doctor.

5. Ivy

Ivy New Member

What came to my rescue were laxative suppositories. It actually helped to have normal bowel movements. The doctor also gave me enema at the hospital and it was better than what I thought it would be and I was happy to know that I had it as an alternative. I even bought a couple of granola bars and had them every day. I had a low appetite but I used to get myself to eat things so that I could have a good BM.

I would like to let you know that if you do not get a BM soon, then it is better that you go back to your doctor because bowel obstructions have the ability to perforate, in turn leading to sepsis in your bloodstream and abdominal cavity. So do not complicate things and put your life in danger. It is better to go back to your doctor ASAP. A stitch in time saves nine. So do not keep delaying it.

6. Goodman

Goodman New Member

I underwent an ACDF a year back and constipation was the biggest of my issues post-surgery. I blindly followed the doctor’s advice and consumed whatever could help the bowel flow. But to be honest, it was painful and I thought my rectum was going to burst. This was my first experience after a surgery and I really didn’t know what to expect. I was in terrible pain. At the end I had to resort to suppositories which helped me in having my first bowel movement after 8 days. The doctor also prescribed stool softeners which helped a great deal in tacking the situation. I think it took more than 7 weeks for my system to get back to normal. I am so glad I am out of that horrible situation. Touchwood.

7. Elianna

Elianna New Member

Thank you all for your valuable comments. It might be weird to know what helped me in having BM. DIET COKE!! Yes you read it right. It was diet coke that came to my rescue at the end. Whenever I had diet coke, I experience a mild stomach upset. It struck my mind yesterday that maybe a diet coke would help and yes it did!!! I feel way better now and I hope it goes on like this!!