Nausea days after surgery! how long does it last after general anesthesia

Discussion in 'Pain Management & Painkillers' started by angela, Apr 4, 2018.

1. angela

angela New Member

I underwent an ACDF surgery last week and was fine and recovering normally till yesterday. Yesterday noon I started feeling very nauseous all of a sudden at around 3pm. I was lucky that my doc had prescribed Zolfran in case such a thing happens and I had it handy. I felt fine after taking the tablet and slept well last night. As I woke up in the morning, I felt there was a loss in my appetite. I had little food and again by today noon I feel nauseated. I just don’t understand why I am feeling sick and nauseous a week after my surgery. Is this normal? Has anyone else been through a similar experience? Could it be the anesthesia?

2. TRISTEN

TRISTEN New Member

I have heard that at times anaesthesia shows its effects even after many days and hits you at a later point. I hope things turn out to be better for you in the days to come. Get well soon. Take care!

3. angela

angela New Member

I had a word with my anesthesiologist and she said the anesthesia gets out of your system a few hours after the procedure and does not stay for this long. I vomited yesterday. I think it could be because of Percocet build up inside my body. I just hope this phase gets over soon. Being sick is not a good feeling at all. I feel miserable.

4. House

House Administrator Staff Member

Is your bowel movement regular after your surgery? I have even heard doctors say that taking too many pain medications could also cause nausea. And even the anaesthesia could be a major culprit. I too sincerely hope that this phase of your passes soon and you start feeling normal again.

5. Elin

Elin New Member

Are you on Percocet? If yes, then no doubt this med is your culprit. Percocet is known for such not so amazing side effects. One more question- Were you taking Percocet before the surgery or just started with it after? If you started it after you op, then I think that should explain your nauseousness. I hope things get back to normalcy soon!!!

6. angela

angela New Member

Umm... let me add, I have a sluggish metabolism. Is it because of this slow metabolism of mine that it is taking so much of time? I hope I am not asking a silly question and it’s related.

7. ratChaser

ratChaser New Member

Try going out for slow morning walks every day and see if it helps. It had in my case, so I hope it works for you too. At the same time, do not overstrain yourself too.

8. buckaroo

buckaroo New Member

You can even try having push fluids and non-alcoholic beverages. It may help a great deal in warding off the nausea. Good luck!!

9. HotRod

HotRod New Member

The same thing happened to me post my op. Those days are still nightmares to me. I resorted to Phenergan to keep nausea at bay. It was really bad I tell you!! Call up your doctor and ask him if you can take this drug. It is a life saver.

10. BigGun

BigGun New Member

My doctor had prescribed me a medicine called darvocet, which made me feel the same way like a hangover after too much alcohol consumption. Taking the pills was so bad for me that I quit them and chose to live with the pain instead. I felt dizzy during the first few days after my surgery and couldn’t stand on my own. I was that weak. I think if your symptoms worsen, it would be a good idea to get in touch with your doctor and ask him what can be possibly done.

11. Pokie

Pokie New Member

I faced nasty nausea on and off for 2 and half weeks post my surgery. I was doing fine when I was in the hospital. The trouble started brewing when I was switched to Percocet from morphine. Percocet was the root cause of my nausea. When I got back home, I was given Phenergan and that was my life saver in getting rid of nausea.

Also, taking too many fluids like water and juices help a lot. Even when I got out of my house and went for small walks, I felt way better. I think you should try these out too.