sharp pain in right side of neck carotid artery

Discussion in 'Pain Management & Painkillers' started by festooned, Jan 24, 2018.

1. festooned

festooned New Member

11 weeks back, I got operated on for anterior cervical discectomy and fusion and I felt I was doing fine. But as I got up yesterday morning, I experienced a sharp shooting pain around the right side of my neck. It was more in the front area than the back. I have strong feeling it is my carotid artery. I can feel the pain right where we can feel our heartbeat. At times, it extends up to my lower jaw and collar bone. The pain is gnawing and unbearable at times. Just wanted to know if anyone else who has been through the same surgery has experienced similar pain!!! Your responses would be of great help.

2. Brian

Brian New Member

I think you may be suffering from temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Your point of pain suggests the same. I think you should get it checked by your doctor.

3. Miss

Miss New Member

Do not worry too much. I think it has do to with your surgery. I think you are straining yourself too much because of which you are getting muscle spasms around your neck area. Just give your surgeon a call and ask him if you need a check. Hope you feel better soon!!!

4. jameson85

jameson85 New Member

I think you should rush to your doctor at once without any further delay, especially if you feel it is the carotid artery. My doctor had once told me that if pain is on the right front side of neck, there are high chances it could be the sternocleidomastoid muscles.

5. festooned

festooned New Member

Thank you all for your comments. I have not called up or seen my doc yet. It was so bad yesterday that I felt I may have to be rushed to the hospital but popping in an aspirin did the trick and made me feel way better. In a few instances, I have even taken naproxen which also seemed to work fine for fine although I am not sure if I should be taking naproxen. All I know is I could sleep peacefully yesterday because of aspirin. Even now I feel it is still there, but the pain is a mild one. I just hope it goes away on its own.